This historic mercantile building of St. John’s Newfoundland was originally constructed in 1725 and survived the “Great Fire of 1892”.
The late afternoon sun casts a golden glow on the historic stonework. These “happy hour” yellow hues were not the inspiration for the pub’s identity. “YellowBelly” harkens back to Irish immigrants who entered Newfoundland between 1750 and 1830. The “Yellowbellies” were an Irish faction hailing from County Wexford who once famously tied strips of yellow cloth around their middles in a hurling match against the Cornish champions. Following their victory, King George III was heard to remark, “Well done the Yellowbellies!”